Lesson 1. Art
1. What’s the purpose of a debate? Who do you choose to have debates with? Who is interested in debate?
*Answers can be different
Answer: The point of a debate is to exchange ideas and say whether you are for or against a topic, giving arguments to support your opinions. You can have debates at school with other classmates. Everyone can be interested in debates, depending on their topic
2. Work in pairs. Look at these art-related topics. Which one would you choose to debate? Who would you debate with?
Answer: I would like to debate “Modern art” with my art teacher
3. Look at the picture. How does the painting make you feel? Some people think the girl seems sad and that she is homeless. Are you for or against this idea? Justify your answers.
Answer: I agree with the people who say that the girl in the picture looks sad. She looks too young to be selling fruit. Her smile looks fake
4. Read the text again and underline the most interesting facts. Can you tell some key words and details from it?
1. Why was Murillo adopted? Because his dad passed away
2. Is his work classified as sacred art? No, it is not
3. What does his work portray? Poverty, homeless and poor children
4. Where can some of his paintings be found? In important museums such as the Hermitage